The life and times of a twenty-something college grad trying to figure out life while traveling the world and grieving the loss of her mother. Watch the journey unfold.

Sunday, May 13, 2012

Panama: Day 2


Happy Mother’s Day, Mama! I hope you have quite the celebration going on in Heaven. You better be doing something special for yourself!

Last night there were some serious sea swells, and the ship was rocking so much that my roommate, Katie, and I both woke up. It was crazy. I woke up this morning, and headed out to catch the bus to my field program, the Embera Indian Village. It was almost a two hour bus ride, and I was not feeling it. I wanted off of the bus, and I just wanted to be in my bed asleep where I wasn’t thinking about Mother’s Day and I wasn’t uncomfortable. I was miserable the entire ride there. We finally got off the bus, where we were greeted by several members of the Embera Indian tribe and then helped down a muddy slope into a canoe. We took the canoes down a beautiful river through the rainforest to reach their village. Upon arrival we were welcomed with a musical celebration. We met the chief of the community, and through a translator he told us about their village and answered any questions we had. It was all very fascinating. After his presentation, we were given lunch cooked especially for us, which was delivered in a rolled up leaf with a beautiful flower attached. They served some tilapia, which was the best fish I have ever had. I have no idea how they cooked it, but it was delicious. They served some plantains with the tilapia, and then there was fresh fruit for dessert. It was wonderful. Once we had finished eating we were then able to walk around the village and purchase their incredibly intricate handicrafts. The village structures were made of wood, bamboo, and palm leaves. The huts were raised on stilts and absolutely stunning. The Embera’s themselves wore very little clothing (even though they actually wore more than usual while we were there), but what they did wear was ornate and handmade. The men wore what were essentially beaded loincloths. They were so detailed and so beautiful. They all had body ink in detailed patterns all over their bodies, which resembled a darker henna. We got to have our own body ink done! A 7 or 8 year old little girl did mine, Mama, and it looks so cool! When I get to post pictures I will definitely post a picture. There were little kids all over the village, and they were simply adorable. Two little girls who were probably about 3 or 4 were chasing a puppy around, laughing and laughing. It was the cutest thing I had ever seen. Later the Embera’s all came together and performed a traditional dance for us, and then invited us to join in. It was so much fun. Finally, it came time for us to leave, and just as we were walking back to the canoes, it started pouring. Rainforest pouring is significantly different than any rain we get back in the states. I have never been more soaked than I was today. Imagine riding in a canoe while it was pouring! That was pretty ridiculous, but unbelievably beautiful at the same time. I had a blast at the Indian village, and I am so glad I went. I was not a happy camper when I had to sit for almost two hours on a bus drenched in water though.

When I got back to the ship I had my Mother’s Day dinner with Elaine. She wanted to make sure I wasn’t alone on Mother’s Day, and it was perfect because none of her children were there, so we filled in for one another. While you are the first and foremost person I would want to spend Mother’s Day with, Elaine was a very nice second place. We had a great dinner, she bought some wine, and we had a heart to heart. We really connect and get each other, Mom. It’s so comforting for me to have that right now. She definitely came into my life for a reason. Elaine is just the sweetest lady. You would love her.

The crew talent show was tonight, which was a lot of fun. I love our crew. Afterward I called Daddy, which was wonderful. I miss him so much. He really misses you, Mama. Bring him some comfort. I am off to bed now as I have officially requested a 5:30am wake-up call for tomorrow morning so that I will be up for your service. I love you so much, Mom. You are my guiding light.

No comments:

Post a Comment