The life and times of a twenty-something college grad trying to figure out life while traveling the world and grieving the loss of her mother. Watch the journey unfold.

Saturday, May 5, 2012

Back on the MV


Well, Mama, I am back on the MV Explorer!

Thursday night I flew to San Diego, which almost didn’t happen due to delayed flights, but nonetheless I made it! The next morning I took the SAS shuttle to Ensenada, Mexico, which took about 2.5 hours.  I was on the phone with Dad right when we got to the border, and as soon as we hit it my phone went out. It’s funny how that works. 

It is so good to be back on the ship. This is definitely a home for me. My roommate Katie is really, really nice and has been really great in general. I know you’d like her, Mom. She’s taking good care of me. There are several staff members on the ship who were on my voyage, which is really great as well. It’s nice to see familiar faces. I went and visited one of my favorite crew members, Yvonne from the campus store, and she was so excited to see me. She gave me a big hug. I haven’t found my old cabin steward Edwin yet, but I know that he is working on the third deck. As fate would turn out, the cabin I’m living in was my good friend Craig’s cabin! I took the picture off the wall to check the back. There is a SAS tradition of writing a note on the back of the picture for future SASers. I found Craig’s message, and I found my roommate Kendra’s message. She wrote on Craig’s picture because we didn’t have one in our cabin.

The environment is SO different on this Enrichment Voyage versus a regular Semester at Sea voyage. The majority of the passengers are 70+. I am definitely in the minority being in my 20s. I think I would still be in the minority in my 50s. It’s pretty funny actually. They had a couple of workshops today, one was about heart attacks and strokes and another was about bird watching. I think that makes my point pretty clearly. It’s definitely different without 700 college students running around. I have managed to find a nice group of friends though.

Tonight they had some fun entertainment. The group “The Exchange” from NBC’s The Sing-Off is aboard the ship and they performed for us. They sang a medley of Wavin’ Flag and Waka Waka and taught us the Waka Waka dance. It was fun. After their performance, there was a comedic magician, which was fun as well. 

I’ve received a lot of support since I’ve been here. The staff is willing to put together a little service for you, with somebody talking and everything. They’re going to talk to the Captain about wind direction and what not so I can plan a morning to scatter some ashes off the ship at sunrise. I’m so happy that they’re making your time aboard the MV perfect, Mama. I know you wanted to experience this ship, and they’re doing everything they can so that it’s perfect for you. I haven’t cried since I’ve been here, which is rather surprising. I had a major breakdown in the airport, but not since I’ve been here. I’m hanging in there. I put you right by the window so that you can watch the ocean. I take you down sometimes and talk to you or lay you next to me. I know you’re with me. I miss you so, so much, Mom, but I want you to know that I am making sure to enjoy myself instead of just focusing on the sadness.

Tomorrow morning we are arriving in Cabo San Lucas! I signed up to go snorkeling at Pelican’s Rock. I’m excited! I’ve never been snorkeling before.  I will let you know how it goes, but for now I am falling asleep. Love you so much, Mama. Keep watching over me.

No comments:

Post a Comment