The life and times of a twenty-something college grad trying to figure out life while traveling the world and grieving the loss of her mother. Watch the journey unfold.

Saturday, May 19, 2012

Costa Rica: Day 1

Well, Mama, the voyage is over. I hate saying goodbye to that ship, even though I know it's only a "see you later." I will be back. This voyage has been really special for me, and these people will always hold a special place in my heart. They were all there for me when I needed someone most. I feel so blessed to have been surrounded by such wonderful people. I will miss them dearly.

I said goodbye to the MV Explorer, and to the strangers who became family in such a short time, and boarded the bus for San Jose. Two hours later we arrived in the city and took a cab to our hostel. Today has been a very low key day. I spent the morning uploading my pictures from the voyage. My friend Soe, who I am spending these couple days in Costa Rica with, and I made friends with a guy from Germany who is staying at our hostel. The three of us went out to find something to eat. I had my heart set on finding authentic Costa Rican food to eat. While abroad I want to eat local food that I would not be able to eat at home. Well, unfortunately, the kid from Germany wanted food he can't get at home as well...this translated into dinner at Taco Bell. As much as I love Taco Bell, it was not the dinner I was looking for. Oh well, there's always tomorrow.

I'm really having a hard time, Mom. As much fun as I'm having with my adventures, my heart is so heavy. Some days it's a struggle to even get myself out of bed. I keep pushing myself to keep going by telling myself that each day is a life changing experience that most people will never get to experience in their lifetimes and that you would want to see me taking advantage of every minute I have. I'm finding my strength to survive through you. I must say though, that it is an absolute blessing that I will get to see Daddy in San Francisco in four days. I don't think I would be able to keep going without getting to see him. I miss you so much, Mama. Everyone keeps telling me that "you will always be with me," and as much as I know that, it just seems like a load of garbage. You should be here. You should be here to comment on every single one of the hundreds of pictures I just put on facebook. You should be here to hear my stories of my adventures. You should be here to tell me everything will be ok when I don't feel well. You should be here to greet me at the airport when I return in August. You should be here, not just in my heart, but here with me. I love you, Mom. I miss you more and more everyday.

1 comment:

  1. Taco Bell! Hah!! Robert, Erin and I just talked about Taco Bell yesterday. We miss you sooo much!

    ReplyDelete