The life and times of a twenty-something college grad trying to figure out life while traveling the world and grieving the loss of her mother. Watch the journey unfold.

Saturday, May 26, 2012

Burney, California

Hi, Mama. Sorry I haven't written in a few days. I've been busy...which I suppose is a good thing. The day I flew from Costa Rica to San Francisco, I had a 6.5 hour layover in Denver, Colorado. I was pleasantly surprised with a phone call from Pat Goodrich, telling me that she was at the airport and was going to take me to lunch during my layover! It was so nice to see one of your best friends and get to talk about my travels and about you. She misses you a whole lot. I think everyone does. Pat and I said our goodbyes, and 18 hours from when I first left my hostel in Costa Rica, I finally arrived in San Francisco!

I spent the day in San Fran and spent time with the cousins. The next morning, Annie took me to her high school and gave me a tour. It was a really nice campus. That night we all headed back to the airport to pick up Daddy! I was so happy to see him! It had been hard being away from him for almost 3 weeks immediately following your funeral. I know it was hard for him too. We all went out to dinner at my favorite Thai restaurant in San Francisco, and then the next morning we headed north to Burney!

We have been up in Burney for the past three days. It's been surprisingly cold for the season up here. Today it was 43 degrees! It has rained everyday that we have been here as well. I suppose I should enjoy the cool weather while I can as it will be very hot in the Philippines.

This morning we went to Burney Falls, which is a beautiful waterfall in a state park here in Burney, California. Dad and I spread some of your ashes in the basin of the falls, as we knew how much you loved waterfalls. It was a beautiful moment, and I know you appreciated it. I had a harder time spreading your ashes today than I did on the ship. I suppose that is because I couldn't access my emotions back then and lately I've been a complete emotional wreck. I've really, really been struggling these past few days. There has been a lot of crying. I think it is because here I am not removed from my life. Visiting family in California is something I do regularly, whereas exploring new parts of the world is not. It's hard for me to watch life go on without you. That's something that I am really going to have to get used to. The world isn't going to stop turning because your gone. Life goes on, and eventually I am going to have to too. For now, though, I am not ready.

We got some really nice pictures at the falls today. As much as I know you were there with us, I wish your beautiful face was in the pictures too. I love you so much, Mom.







No comments:

Post a Comment