The life and times of a twenty-something college grad trying to figure out life while traveling the world and grieving the loss of her mother. Watch the journey unfold.

Thursday, May 10, 2012

Nicaragua!


Oh, Mama. I loved Nicaragua. I had such a great day today. We pulled into port in Corinto this morning, and I headed off the ship to my field program, “Colonial Leon and Bubbling Mud Pots.” We were greeted by our tour guide, Guillermo, who I must say was the best tour guide I’ve ever had in my life (which is saying something) and headed out on an hour-long drive to Leon.

We arrived in Leon, a charming colonial town, so full of color, so full of life. We visited an old cathedral, where I lit a candle for you and one for Morgan as well. It was a special moment. We got to climb up the stairs of the cathedral and walk on the roof, with a panoramic view of Leon. It was so beautiful. After visiting the cathedral, we got to walk around the main plaza and visit the craft stands. I found a beautiful necklace and two small clay urns with etchings/paintings of flowers, birds, monkeys, etc. on them. I thought they would be perfect to keep some of your ashes in. A beautiful container for my beautiful Mama.

From Leon we hopped back on the bus to go explore the bubbling mud pots. These bubbling mud pots were literally springs of boiling mud. It was pretty incredible. The moment we arrived, several children grabbed my hands and showed me around, telling me all about the mud pots in their broken English. They all had crafts they had made from the mud and then painted. I couldn’t say no to these beautiful children, even though I probably should have. They gave me their crafts, and I gave each of them 10 Cordobas (about 50 cents). These children lived in such poverty, Mama. It broke my heart. I got several pictures with them, and now have quite a few clay crafts to remember them by. I was so moved by my experience with these children and their families. Once again, I was reminded of what privilege I have in my life.

Our field program ended, and 4 of us (me, a girl my age, and two older women) decided to go into Corinto to get some lunch. We rode on a bicycle taxi, and our poor bicycle driver, Adrian, peddled 4 of us! He worked up quite a sweat! He took us to his family’s restaurant right along the beach with a gorgeous view. We invited him to stay for lunch, and we bought him a beer. I ordered fajitas, and boy were they delicious! Guillermo, our tour guide from earlier in the day, joked about how in Nicaragua for breakfast they eat rice and beans, lunch beans and rice, and dinner beans and rice mixed together. Well, beans and rice came with my food, and they were incredible. I could definitely live on beans and rice if it was those beans and rice! None of us could finish our lunches, so we gave all of our leftovers to Adrian for him to take home to his family. He was so grateful. Adrian peddled us back to the ship, and unfortunately, we said goodbye to Nicaragua.

I had a wonderful day today. Nicaragua was so beautifully green, just like Guatemala, with brightly colored buildings. The people were so beautiful, and the poverty really was heartbreaking.
I’m exhausted, Mama. I took the pouch with your ashes off of the windowsill and have them lying next to me. There’s nothing I like more after a long, exhausting day than to snuggle up with my Mommy. I know you’re here with me, especially in my heart, but I miss you more than words can say. It increases as the days go on. I can’t believe it’ll have been two weeks tomorrow. So surreal.

I’m going to bed early tonight, Mama. I love you so much.

No comments:

Post a Comment