The life and times of a twenty-something college grad trying to figure out life while traveling the world and grieving the loss of her mother. Watch the journey unfold.

Tuesday, May 15, 2012

Ecuador: Day 1

Hola from Manta, Ecuador, Mama! We arrived this morning, and boy is it hot! Today I went on a field program to the town of Pila, where I visited a kindergarten, and got to feed and play with the children. It was so wonderful, Mom. These were the sweetest children I have ever met in my life. I spent a good amount of time pushing little girls on the swing. I'd tickle them when I'd go to push them, and they just laughed and laughed. It was wonderful. At one point I held hands with a couple kids and started skipping in a circle, and before I knew it I had about 20 kids in my circle! These kids really touched my heart, Mama. They were all so beautiful. After lunched one other girl and I volunteered to wash all of the dishes, and I just felt such a sense of satisfaction with myself and with the day. I know that the people at the school were very grateful.

The sun here at the equator is so intense. I felt like I was frying, but fortunately I did not get burned! I know you're proud of that!

On another note...I finally broke down tonight. My tears came. I went over to Elaine's room, and she just held me as I cried. You would like her so much, Mama. She's taking good care of me. I'm so lucky to have the people surrounding me that I do. I'm glad that I finally had the release of crying, but I know from here on out it's going to be much more difficult for me. Now that I've lost my numbness, I'm going to have a lot of emotions flooding. I'll get through it though. You made me a strong woman.

I love you so, so much, Mama. You filled my heart with so much joy and so much love. It will always be there.

Also, I wanted you to know that I got the video of the memorial service, and it is absolutely perfect. Dad and I are so lucky to have such a keepsake that we can cherish forever.

1 comment:

  1. Lissyplum, I love you so much even though you make me cry every day. Your letters to mom are so beautiful and I really appreciate them.

    love,
    daddy

    ReplyDelete