The life and times of a twenty-something college grad trying to figure out life while traveling the world and grieving the loss of her mother. Watch the journey unfold.

Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Sick in Civitavecchia

Well, I am sick. I'm feeling pretty miserable. I've been in bed all day resting to get rid of this virus. We arrived in Civitavecchia this morning, and the first thing I saw when I opened my blinds was a bolt of lightning in the sky. That is a rather unsettling sight when you are aboard a giant metal object in the middle of the ocean. Fortunately, there isn't any rain, so it's not runing anyone's day in port. I decided to stay in to rest. I've been to Italy before, so I'm ok with sacrificing one day. We still have four more days here, and I really need to get better. I also really need to get on my school work. I have multiple papers for each of my classes. I think I'll get a jump start on that today. Tomorrow I'm doing a service visit to the Repubblica Dei Raggazi, which is a transitional living facility for at-risk youth boys. I'm not entirely sure what all we will be doing there, but I am excited none-the-less.
 
Last night's 4th of July cookout was fun even though I was sick. They had all the American essentials: hamburgers, hotdogs, potato salad, mac and cheese, ice cream sundaes, etc. They were playing fun music, and it was so cute to see all of the dependent children of the faculty/staff dancing around the deck without any inhibitions. I thought it was really funny that the ship was covered in red, white, and blue and we were blasting very American music as we were still sitting in the port in Naples.
 
I'm really not feeling well, so I think I'm going to try to sleep for a while. Cross your fingers that I feel better tomorrow for my service trip!

No comments:

Post a Comment