The life and times of a twenty-something college grad trying to figure out life while traveling the world and grieving the loss of her mother. Watch the journey unfold.

Friday, July 22, 2011

Sailing Under the Bosphorus Bridge

Tonight was incredible. We sailed through the Bosphorus Strait and under the Bosphorus Bridge, which connects the European side of Istanbul, Turkey with the Asiatic side. It was one of the coolest things I have ever done. The strait was only about a mile wide, and we were surrounded on both sides by the city of Istanbul. It was phenomenal. The whole city was lit up. We could see the Hagia Sophia and many other important buildings. I am so excited for Turkey! I can't wait til we come back next week. Tonight we are just passing through on our way to Bulgaria. I think it is so interesting that not only is the country of Turkey separated into two continents, but the city of Istanbul is split as well. The bridge was brightly lit with color changing lights. It was so incredibly cool passing under it. Everyone cheered. I took a video...I'll try to post it when I can. The city also happened to be setting off fireworks right after we passed. What a great experience.
 
Tonight was my last family dinner. Isn't that sad? Dottie and Ed are getting off the ship in Istanbul so that they can make it home in time for their family reunion. Since we only have one day between Bulgaria and Turkey, we had our last family dinner tonight. We got a really nice family picture though, which makes me really happy. I hope I can continue to keep in touch with Dottie once I am back in Illinois. She has really been an asset to my SAS experience.
 
They're playing Crash right now, which is one of my favorite movies, so I think I am going to go watch it and get ready for bed.

No comments:

Post a Comment