The life and times of a twenty-something college grad trying to figure out life while traveling the world and grieving the loss of her mother. Watch the journey unfold.

Sunday, July 3, 2011

Capri & Anacapri

I had the best time today. Capri and Anacapri have definitely been the highlight of my trip so far. It was absolutely beautiful. We traveled from Naples to Capri by Jetfoil (a highspeed boat), which took us about an hour. Once we got there, our group split up into those who wanted to take a boat ride around the island and those who didn't want to. I, of course, wanted to. It was really neat. They took us to see the caves and the natural arch. They also drove us through this rock that was known as the "Rock of Love" (or something of that sort). It was beautiful. There were villas up on the cliffs, and our tour guide, Paulo, took the time to point out that Bill Clinton and Monica Lewinksy stayed in one of the villas. Funny. After our boat ride, we took a bus from Capri up to Anacapri (the town higher up on the mountain), and we drove up a road known as "Mamma Mia Road." That was an accurate title, as every single one of us was screaming, "Oh my God!" the entire way up. It was terrifying. We were driving up the mountain on a very narrow two-way road that barely had a railing along the side of the mountain. It was insane. Once we finally reached the top we went to explore the Villa San Michele. It was BEAUTIFUL! It was so lush. Everything was green with flowers blossoming all around us. The villa itself was beautiful as well. The entire building was white, and the crispness of the white surrounded by all of the plants was gorgeous. Our next stop was to "Moon Capri," an adorable Italian restaurant, where we had a delicious three course meal of pasta, chicken, french fries, and chocolate cake. So good! We were given some free time, and my friends and I took the chair lift up the mountain. It was one of the most incredible things I have ever done in my life. It was a 13 minute ride to the top, where you could see everything: the entire town, the coastline, the ocean, the wildlife. It was phenomenal. The noise of the city disappeared, and the only sound breaking the silence was the chirping of the birds. I have never experienced anything more tranquil and serene. Just when I thought it couldn't get any better, we got off at the top, and there were the most beautiful views from the peaks up there. They didn't seem real. We took a million pictures, and then enjoyed some gelato! We rode back down, and did some shopping! I got some authentic handmade Italian perfume, which smells incredible. I collect perfume and body spray, so I couldn't pass that one up. I also got a white and coral linen dress. I'm very happy with my purchases. It was nice to shop for myself because I don't usually buy myself things that much. After a long, incredible day, we once again boarded the jetfoil, and headed back to Naples.
 
Now I am sunburnt, exhausted, and ready for a nap. Maybe I will stroll through the city tonight after I wake up. Who knows. All I know is, I had the most wonderful day, and I am one very happy girl.
 
Funny story: Our tour guide explained to us the history of the rivalry between Capri and Anacapri. Apparently back in the day, the men from Anacapri would have to sail to Naples (I forget the reason why), and while they were gone, the men from Capri would have affairs with their women! Ever since then, the people from Capri and Anacapri have had a heated rivalry, simply based off of history and tradition. Isn't that funny? I thought so.
 
Interesting fact: 12,000 people live on Capri/Anacapri, but there are 20,000 tourists on any given day. Insane, right?

No comments:

Post a Comment