The life and times of a twenty-something college grad trying to figure out life while traveling the world and grieving the loss of her mother. Watch the journey unfold.

Saturday, July 2, 2011

Pompeii

Buon Giorno! My first day in Italy was spent at Pompeii. It was a lot different than I expected. I had no idea it would be so large. I suppose it didn't occur to me that it really was a whole town. It is incredible how well preserved the whole town is. It was a little eerie walking through the streets thinking about what happened there. It definitely puts life in perspective. We had the most adorable tour guide. She told us to call her "Mama Nancy." She was a little Italian lady, and she kept going, "Family! Family! Follow Mama!" It was so funny. We got to explore the amphitheatres, the houses, the markets, and even the brothel. Yes, there was a brothel in Pompeii. The walls inside the brothel had perfectly preserved erotic paintings on them. Who would have known the Pompeiians were so wild? We got to see the preserved bodies as well. That was my favorite part. It was emotional. You could see the positions they were in when the ash covered them. Some where curled up, some were covering their faces. There was even a dog. One of the bodies still had a full set of teeth showing. I can't even imagine the fear they must have experienced in the last minutes of their lives. The story of Pompeii really teaches us to appreciate each and everyday. Live life to the fullest. Seeing it up close and person made it that much more real.
 
After our tour I explored some of the markets they had outside of Pompeii. I got a really nice necklace. It's colorful glass. Very Italian.
 
Once we got back from Pompeii I ventured over to a nearby cafe to pick up some wifi. I called home and checked in with my dad. I started uploading pictures to my blog, but my laptop died before I was finished! There wasn't an outlet, so I wasn't able to do it. Hopefully tomorrow I'll have some time to post them for you all to see.
 
I came back, fell deep asleep for a few hours, and then went out to dinner with some friends.
 
I would just like to note that I ate Pizza Margherita THREE times today. THREE. It was amazing, and I have zero regrets. Delicious.
 
Tomorrow I will be spending my day on the beautiful islands of Capri and Anacapri. I can't wait!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment