The life and times of a twenty-something college grad trying to figure out life while traveling the world and grieving the loss of her mother. Watch the journey unfold.

Thursday, July 28, 2011

My Day Spent Hooked Up to IV's...and Yesteday.

Well today was not great. It was "Turkey Day," in preparation for our arrival in Istanbul tomorrow, so we had a 2 hour Global Studies and no other classes. I felt miserable during class, and went straight to bed once it was over. I wouldn't have gone had they not made an announcement saying that the material covered today would be worth 10% of our exam. I got up and started throwing up (which, if you know me, is a big deal because it is so rare for me to actually throw up). My heart was pounding in my chest. It was horrible. My roommate finally convinced me to go to the medical clinic, where I was until 2100 (9pm). 5 hours. They gave me IV fluids, Zofran, Reglan, potassium, and Peptobismol. My heart rate was down to 52, my blood pressure was low, and my heart beat was irregular, so they did an EKG as well. I had an arrythmia. My heart is really sensitive to losing fluids. They finally pinpointed what was causing me to be so sick...I had gotten frozen yogurt with fresh peaches on it in Bulgaria yesterday, and it was from the fresh peaches. There was another girl in the clinic who went to the same frozen yogurt place and was sick as well. I'm terrified to see the damage this doctor's visit is going to do to my bank account.
 
After I finally got back to my cabin, there was a knock on the door. It was the nurse practioner. She had a form for me to fill out and wanted to let me know that I'm not allowed to leave my cabin for 24 hours. This really sucks. I have my lecture tomorrow about the virginity testing and hymen reconstruction, and I was really looking forward to it...not to mention that's a whole day in Istanbul wasted. Luckily we are here for 5 days instead of 4. I might sneak out and try to go to the lecture since it's on the ship, but I'm just worried because they have put in an order for me to get food delivered to my cabin, and I don't want them to deliver my food and have me not be here. I don't know. I'm conflicted. I just got delivered a tray of "food"...and it looks...yummy? Dry cereal, a banana, two slices of bread, and something hot in a bowl that I have no idea what it is. Quality dining right there.
 
My plan is to fall asleep for the night ASAP.
 
Before I do that though, I realized that I forgot to update yesterday! Yesterday was actually a really good day. It started off with a trip to a cafe for some wifi! I got to Skype my parents, and they had hooked up their webcam finally, so I got to see my kitty cat! Aww. It was next that I got my poisonous frozen yogurt...I do have to admit though...it was delicious. We decided to go out for some shopping on our last day in Bulgaria. I got some really cute wooden dolls that are dressed in the traditional Bulgarian costumes, one for Varna, and one for Sofia (the capital). They're adorable...plus...they have a vile of rose oil inside! It's everywhere! I also did my clothes shopping, and found a lot of great deals! The exchange rate is so great. There was a store that was having sales with clothes for 6.90 Leva or 9.90 Leva, which is about $5 and $7! Great, right? I ended up getting two tank tops, two shirts, a skirt, and some undies! I thought it would be pretty awesome to have some Bulgarian underwear! After shopping, we went on a wild goose chase to find some stamps to mail my postcards. We found the post office...on the other side of town, and I managed to get my stamps! We had to hurry back to the ship for on-ship time, but I was able to get my postcards sent!
 
Later last night we had our first meeting for our TEDxSemesterAtSea event!! I'm so excited! I think it's going to be really, really great. Our theme for our conference is "Live with Purpose, Work with Purpose, Travel with Purpose." I think it's really neat that I get to be part of the first ever TEDxSemesterATSea. So cool!
 
Anyway...that pretty much summarizes up the past two days. Fingers crossed that I will be feeling better tomorrow. I'm so tired of being sick on this ship!!!!!

1 comment:

  1. Please for humanity's sake please do it once
    I have made a blog at blogger.com Since i have added a google adsense in the blog but haven't made a penny with this. I need your help and support to help me make some money to PAY MY Tuition Fees.

    What you have to do is follow these simple steps

    1.go to Google.com and search "Kwotz-Golden Words of Life"
    2.then visit my blog from the the search results.
    3.Remain on the page i.e Kwotz for one minute or so and do some random surfing
    4. click ONE of the ads that appeals to you from AdChoices and visit there.
    5.remain on that page for one minute or so and do some random surfing.and that's it.

    Note: You must visit my blog through Google. Only ONE click is needed and nothing else
    I will be very grateful to you.

    ReplyDelete