The life and times of a twenty-something college grad trying to figure out life while traveling the world and grieving the loss of her mother. Watch the journey unfold.

Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Repubblica dei Raggazi & A Day in Rome

First of all, GREAT NEWS!!! I found out today that I got a federal grant for SAS for $2,063!!!! I am so happy!!! I was not expecting it to be anywhere near that much. That puts my total scholarship at $8,063. I feel so privileged.
 
Speaking of privilege...this morning was my service trip to the Repubblica dei Raggazi. I was very moved and very touched. What an incredible place. I was led to believe that this place was only for boys, but now they have girls there as well. They take in children ages 8-20 who have been taken away from their parents by the court. Not only are their children from Italy, but some of them are from Tunisia, Bangladesh, Spain, Morocco, and even Brazil. The children go to school at the local school in Civitavecchia, have chores, and as they get older they get jobs in the community. There is an open door policy. They are there on their own will. The staff members we talked to were so loving and caring. It really seems like a phenomenal program. We got to tour the property, and then afterward we got to talk with the kids that live there. I talked to these two girls who were sisters. Their names were Francesca and Antonella, and they were 18 and 16. They had been at the Repubblica dei Raggazi for 5 years. There was a little struggle with the language barrier, but they knew a decent amount of English, and we were able to have a nice conversation. Interacting with these girls, these normal, beautiful, caring, capable girls, really touched me. There is nothing that differentiates me from these girls. I just happened to be the privileged one. It really puts my life in perspective, and makes me realize how much I am blessed with in my life. We exchaged names so that we could be friends on Facebook, and I really hope to keep in touch with Francesca and Antonella. I only spoke with them for a short time, but they had the most profound impact on me. I truly feel deeply moved by them. As we were leaving, Semester at Sea presented the Repubblica dei Raggazi with a donation of 300 Euros.
 
After the service visit, Andy, Lindsay, Jeff, Todd, and I headed to the train station to go into Rome! The train took an hour and 20 minutes to arrive in the Roma Termini station. I was very surprised at how well I remembered how to get around Rome. I managed to get us from the Termini to the Colosseum on the Metro strictly from memory. We took pictures outside of the Colosseum. My friends didn't want to go inside, which I found very surprising (but lucky for me because I didn't want to pay to do something I had already done), but I suppose that's their own prerogative. We walked around Rome, to the Trevi Fountain (where I once again made a wish and threw a coin over my shoulder into the fountain), to the Spanish Steps, to get some gelato, to get some dinner (mmm...real Italian spaghetti...), and finally to St. Peter's Square. Once again, I was surprised they didn't want to go inside the Vatican, but I was perfectly content with just visiting the outside. Rome is so beautiful. I love it just as much the second time around. It is so magical, and I feel so deeply connected to my roots. I wish more than anything that my Nana was still around so I could tell her all about it. I know it would mean so much to her.
 
We just got back to the ship in Civitavecchia. Even though I managed to do all of this today, I still feel pretty miserably sick. I got some throat lozenges, which seem to be helping my sore throat, but my cough is getting worse. I don't want to miss anymore time in port. Tomorrow I'm going to Tarquinia (Tuscany!) for my cooking class! My friend Andy is doing it with me, so that will be fun. I can't wait to learn how to make real Italian food...plus eat it afterward!
 
I miss my roommates very much. They both have been off on various trips for the past few days, and I've been very lonely in the cabin by myself. Kendra gets back tomorrow, which I am looking forward to, and I'm not sure when Amanda is getting back. It will be nice to have some roomie time again.
 
Despite my sickness, it has been a wonderfully rewarding and adventurous day. I will definitely be crashing any minute now.

No comments:

Post a Comment