The life and times of a twenty-something college grad trying to figure out life while traveling the world and grieving the loss of her mother. Watch the journey unfold.

Saturday, July 16, 2011

Preparing for Greece Tomorrow

Sorry I didn't post yesterday. The email server was down until almost midnight, and I update my blog through my email.
 
We lost another hour last night, so I am officially 7 hours ahead of Ohio and 8 ahead of Illinois.
 
I actually enjoyed Global Studies today. It was really interesting. We learned all about Greece and the current situation they are facing. I had no idea it was so bad. As of right now, their debt is 145% of their GDP, and it has increased by 15% in 2009 and 10% in 2010. That is shocking. I'm very fortunate to have the opportunity to come now before the situation gets worse, potentially leading to a huge downfall of the country. Another thing I learned today that I thought was extremely interesting is that the Parthenon was built without mortar. The only thing holding it together is gravity and a flawless design. Can you imagine constructing something so grand perfectly enough that simply gravity can hold it together? I couldn't believe it.
 
I'm very excited for Greece tomorrow! I'm feeling more excited about this port than I even was about some of the others. I'm doing a field program called "Sights of Athens and the Acropolis." I can't wait to tour the Acropolis and walk the streets of Athens. I want to try to get some friends together to make a trip to Mykonos, which is the island where the quintessential image of Greece is from: the winding narrow roads with the white houses with blue roofs and shutters. I've heard it's absolutely beautiful.
 
Last night we had the first informational session for the Global Ambassadors Program, which is what I'm helping with for work-study. The GAP is a group of SAS alumni selected from each voyage to spread the word about SAS in their home areas and universities, as the majority of students who participate in SAS find out about it through someone who has previously sailed. I think I'm going to apply for it. I'm always looking for things to boost my resume. "Global Ambassador" certainly has a nice ring to it.
 
Tonight they're showing Toy Story 3. One of my favorites.
 
I better get off and head to Race, Class, and Gender. Today we're talking about ethnicity and nationality. Next time you hear from me I will be in Greece!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment