The life and times of a twenty-something college grad trying to figure out life while traveling the world and grieving the loss of her mother. Watch the journey unfold.

Sunday, June 24, 2012

Recap: First Week in the Philippines

Hi, Mom. So sorry it has been so long since I've updated. What a week it's been. I have so much to tell you, I don't even know where to begin. I know I said this in my last post, but I am so in love with the Philippines. The life here is unlike anything I've ever experienced.

Since I can't start working at the women's shelter yet, I've been bouncing around from placement to placement, and it's been incredible. On Wednesday I went to one of the nutrition projects, where I got to help prepare and serve food to children in a rural community. The nutrition project is great because not only does it provide these children with a nutritious meal, but it is also aimed at educating the children and their mother's on the importance of proper nutrition and what different foods can do for their bodies. There was also a volunteer doctor at the project that day, so we got to observe her treating the children with various ailments. Diseases we can't even imagine in the US are prevalent here. I got to observe her washing and medicating children with scabies. It was all very interesting. I had a great day playing with the kids and helping put a good meal in their tummies.

Thursday I went with a volunteer named Andria to visit the women's shelter (Regional Haven). It was her last day, so I went with her to see the shelter and meet the women I will be spending the next several weeks with. I am so excited to start working there. I seriously can not wait. I will be the only volunteer there at the time, and literally it is up to me to organize and plan the daily activities for the women. This women's center is nothing like the women's centers in the US. It is going to definitely be a challenge, but I already have ideas in mind and I'm so excited. The women are absolutely wonderful. They all called me "Ate Alissa" (pronounced ah-tay). Respect of elders is a very big deal in the Philippines. Older women (eg mother figures) are called Nanay (nah-nye) and olden men are called Tatay (tah-tye). Big sisters are called Ate, and I forget what big brothers are called. I think it's very interesting that they call me Ate even though some of them are older than me. I think it's just because of my position of authority over them (not that I like to look at myself as having authority).

Friday I went to a rural health clinic, which was another eye opening experience. This health center literally had no advanced medical technology. I got to observe an evaluation of a woman in labor, and it literally all the used was a stethoscope. Unfortunately, she was pre-eclamptic, so they transferred her to a hospital in the city, so I didn't get to help with the delivery. One of my goals for while I'm here is to help with a delivery. I have five more weeks to make it happen!

When I'm not working, I have been having a lot of fun. The group of volunteers here is really, really great. I have become especially close with two girls named Melissa and Ligaya, and I am so happy to have them here with me. Melissa is from England, and Ligaya is from California.

One night this week, a lot of the volunteers went out to see a dance competition between local dance crews. It was so much fun. There were 23 dance crews all competing with hip hop. They were so talented. Unfortunately, the show was running on Filipino time (which basically means things happen/start/etc. whenever people feel like it. There are no deadlines here. People are on time for nothing.), so we couldn't stay for the whole show. It was supposed to start at 8, but it didn't start until after 9. I had fun watching what I did get to see though.

Most nights the volunteers go to Cafe Lucia, which is a nice cafe about 15 minutes from Bliss (our neighborhood), has great food, and also has free wifi. During the day we sometimes go to Robinson's, which is a shopping mall. It is actually pretty similar to the malls at home, which is a strange contrast to everything else surrounding it.

I have taken time to get to know some of the locals, and they are all wonderful. They say hello to you every time you pass by, and they always have huge smiles on their faces.

Ahh I have more to write, but they are closing the center, so I have to get off. I will finish this later.

I love you so much, Mama!

1 comment:

  1. Hey Alyssa, I just wanted to say that I really admire your purpose in traveling the world and wish we could have had more time to get to know each other. I know you're going to do great things at R.H. and elsewhere and I wish you all the best! Looking forward to reading your future blog updates!
    -Andria

    ReplyDelete