The life and times of a twenty-something college grad trying to figure out life while traveling the world and grieving the loss of her mother. Watch the journey unfold.

Saturday, June 9, 2012

Beijing: Temple of Heaven

Hello, Mama. This morning I hopped on the subway and headed to the Temple of Heaven. I was not entirely sure what I was going to see, but Kui told me I should go. When I arrived I was pleasantly surprised! The Temple of Heaven was inside an incredible park. This park was nothing like anything we have in the US. So much was going on! The first thing I came across was a line dancing class! It was fabulous! The group was comprised mostly of older woman, and they were all dancing to Chinese techno music. I looked to my right, and I saw what appeared to be a giant playground. Upon looking closer, I realized that it was mostly adults using it! It was a park full of exercise equipment! I saw one man swinging on a bar continuously doing 360's around and around going upside down. When he finally stopped, I saw that he was an old man! I could not believe it! There was a group of individuals doing what appeared to be a martial arts class, with a teacher stretching them out. My heart melted when a saw a this beautifully graceful woman doing ballet. I sat and watched her for a while. I contemplated trying to express my shared love of ballet to her, but I decided not to bother with the language barrier.

 

I left the park area and headed over to the Temple of Heaven. Once again, I was stunned by the beautiful architecture and ornate detail. I walked around and viewed the different buildings and was completely amazed.

 

After returning from the Temple of Heaven I met up with my friend Victoria from Semester at Sea! It was so nice to see her. She had to go out to do some things, but she should be back soon.

 

It's been a little difficult here with the language barrier, but I'm trying to cope. Mostly I feel like I am being a bother. I don't want to offend anybody or feel like a burden. I've been getting rather frustrated with the fact that Kui's mother keeps force feeding me. Literally she forced me to stop writing this blog entry and come eat. She kept making me eat after I felt like I was full. I understand that it's a cultural thing...but I would like to control my own eating.

 

I am unbelievably exhausted, I have about 16 mosquito bites, and I have the worst blisters imaginable on both of my little toes. I took a 4 hour nap today, and all I want to do now is go to sleep. I just want my mommy.

No comments:

Post a Comment