The life and times of a twenty-something college grad trying to figure out life while traveling the world and grieving the loss of her mother. Watch the journey unfold.

Thursday, June 7, 2012

I Have Arrived in Beijing!

Hi, Mama! I just wanted to let you know that I have arrived safe and sound in Beijing, China! I am at our neighbor from home, Kui's apartment right now. The government in China has blogger blocked (in addition to facebook...I think I'm going through withdrawl already...), so I have to update through email. This means that I will not be able to post pictures until I arrive in Hong Kong on June 12th.

 

My day went very smoothly. All of the girls at my homestay in Tokyo woke up early to say goodbye to me. They had rehearsed saying, "We hope you will come back" in English. It was so cute. I really hated saying goodbye, and I miss them already. I could not have asked for a better place to stay in Tokyo or to make better friends. I am very lucky.

 

I got to do some souvenir shopping at the airport, and I got a tshirt, a tote bag, and my favorite of all...a Japanese doll! It is so cool, Mom! I'm going to put it on my desk with all of my other trinkets from around the world! I'm so excited about it!

 

I made some friends on my flight to China, including a Chinese guy who went to great lengths to help me get ahold of Kui and on the right bus. It was unbelievably kind. He probably stayed at the airport almost an hour after he could have left. I got his email address, and I think we might meet up while I'm here! I also made friends with a fellow American, who I might possibly go sightseeing with as well. I love the way things work out! Thanks for watching over me, Mama, and making sure that I have people to get me through this journey! It is very much appreciated!

 

I am exhausted from traveling all day. Subway ride, 45 min train ride, 3.5 hour flight, hour layover, 2.5 hour flight, hour bus ride, subway ride, 15 min walk...all with my luggage! I think it is time for me to shower and get ready for bed! Love you, Mama! Missing you every minute.

2 comments:

  1. We encountered the same level of kindness while we were in Japan. Folks who would miss their train stops to make sure we arrived safely at ours etc. Really makes you think about the curtsey you extend to others and want to pay it forward, doesn't it? Enjoy China! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. curtsey = courtesy, spelling is hard.

    ReplyDelete