The life and times of a twenty-something college grad trying to figure out life while traveling the world and grieving the loss of her mother. Watch the journey unfold.

Friday, June 8, 2012

Beijing: Forbidden City & Jingshan Park

What a day it has been, Mama. I woke up early and headed out to the Forbidden City with Kui and Emma. Once we got there, Emma refused to walk and made Kui carry her, so Kui decided not to take her inside. We parted ways, and I entered the Forbidden City! Wow, was it crowded! I have finally experienced the mob mentality I was warned about before heading to Asia. Now, I am not one to judge others based upon subjective definitions of what is rude or impolite varying from culture to culture, but I got so frustrated and annoyed at this. I would be standing in line, and then 40 people would push in front of me and then get mad if I pushed back. Being passive aggressive, I kind of just decided to let it happen. What else was I going to do? Anyway..the Forbidden City. I suppose I forgot that it was a Forbidden CITY, which meant that it was enormous. I felt like I was walking forever. The architecture was mind-blowingly incredible.

 

While I was inside, a woman's "Oh look an American!" radar went off, and she convinced me to come look at the artwork of the students from the art school in Beijing. Of course her mission was to get me to buy something. I hate giving in and buying something when they hustle me like that because it reinforces the stereotype that they can get Americans to throw down money anywhere, but this artwork was beautiful. She was showing me different paintings, and she came across one of a plum blossom tree. It was so beautiful. She started telling me that in China plum means "strong woman." That gave me chills. I told her that my nickname was Plum. She told me that my parents chose wisely and that many girls in China are named "little plum" (I can't remember the Chinese translation). I couldn't believe it, Mom. I knew I had to get this painting. It was the perfect symbol of the strength deep down inside of me to overcome my heartbreak of losing you. It is moments like that when I know you're watching out for me. I love you so much, Mom. So, so much.

 

After leaving the forbidden city, I walked across the street to Jingshan Park. I climbed up to the top of the hill, where there were several temples and incredible views. You could see all of the Forbidden City and much of Beijing from up there. It was stunning. I walked back downstairs and decided to get a snack. I saw a blue bag of Lays, and I thought, "Oh perfect! Salt and vinegar chips!" Not so much. Blue lays in China are "Italian Red Meat Flavor." That was interesting. After getting my snack I decided I better go to the bathroom. I haven't mentioned this yet, but the toilets in Asia are not like the toilets in the US. It is very common for there to be squatter toilets, which are literally basins in the ground that you squat over. They still flush like normal toilets, but there is nowhere to sit. This was the only kind of toilet they had at the park, so I had no other options. I was focusing so hard on trying to balance and not pee on my shorts, when all of a sudden my FAVORITE sunglasses that I bought in Italy fell off my head and down the hole in the toilet. They didn't even land in the basin, they fell straight down the hole. I couldn't believe it. I stood there shocked at what had just happened. Clearly, it was something that would only happen to me. I walked around with the sun in my eyes the rest of the day.

 

After the park, I decided to grab some lunch, which was delicious, and head back to the apartment. It is unbelievably hot here, and I was exhausted. I came back and took a nap. After waking up, I decided to heat up some homemade dumplings Kui's father had made. This apartment is shared between three families, and I went out of my room to ask one of the ladies how to go about cooking the dumplings (all in pantomime, of course, as nobody can speak English here). I looked behind me and the door had locked! I had no idea it would automatically locked! First my sunglasses, and now this! I lock myself out of my room at school all the time...I guess nothing is different when I'm on the other side of the planet. One of the families called Kui and her sister to come unlock the door for me. The funny thing is I heard the phone ringing from inside the locked door...it was Kui calling me to tell me that the door locks behind itself. I waited with the other family, and they forcefed me food until Kui and her sister got here. They were very, very nice to me. In Japan, Momoko had told me that the Japanese think the Chinese sound angry all the time by the way that they speak (just like Americans think Germans sound angry). It is funny that she mentioned this because I thought this family was angry at me, but in fact, it was the exact opposite! They thought it was funny and not a big deal at all. They were wonderful. When Kui got here she told me she did the same thing yesterday, so that made me feel better.

 

I am meeting up with my Semester at Sea friend Victoria tomorrow!! I can't wait. I have missed her so much!

 

I miss you every second, Mama. I love you more than all the stars in the sky.

No comments:

Post a Comment