The life and times of a twenty-something college grad trying to figure out life while traveling the world and grieving the loss of her mother. Watch the journey unfold.

Sunday, June 17, 2012

Manila, Philippines



I have arrived in the Philippines! Can you believe it, Mom? I can’t. My flight went smoothly this morning. It was only two hours from Hong Kong to Clark, Philippines. I was a dummy and booked my flight today into Clark airport and my flight tomorrow out of Manila airport, which are about 2 hours apart. Luckily I sat next to a really nice woman on the plane, and she sent me in the right direction for the bus to Manila. I realized though that I didn’t have my hotel confirmation, and I couldn’t access the wifi at the airport to pull it up. The problem was…I didn’t know the name of my hotel. I just knew that it was by Manila Airport. I hopped on the bus to Manila hoping for the best. The first bus I got on to take me to the bus station to get the bus to Manila reminded me of what they show in movies when people are being smuggled across the border. There were about 20 of us crammed into the back of this bus with two columns of seats facing one another. It was rather ridiculous. I got on the second bus, kind of nervous about the fact that I didn’t know where I was going. I found an empty seat in the very back of the bus, and then I looked up and saw a sign in bright red letters, “Free WiFi.” What are the odds of free wifi on a bus in the Philippines? That is extremely rare even in the US! Thanks for watching over me, Mom. You never fail in making sure that I get to where I need to be safely. I have settled into my hotel for the night. I knocked out this afternoon and slept for about 4 hours.  I will be going back to sleep soon. I am exhausted, and my wake up call is set for 6:30 tomorrow morning.

I have no idea what to expect at the other end of that flight tomorrow, but I am up for the challenge and ready for the adventure.

I’m not sure what my internet situation will be once I arrive. I’m thinking I may have to go to an internet café, so I’m not sure how often I will be able to update. I’ll find out once I get there.

I love you, Mama. Take good care of Daddy today. I want him to have a very happy Father’s Day, even though neither one of us are there. Let him feel your presence and your love.

No comments:

Post a Comment