The life and times of a twenty-something college grad trying to figure out life while traveling the world and grieving the loss of her mother. Watch the journey unfold.

Saturday, June 16, 2012

Hong Kong: Final Day

Well, Mama, it's my last day in Hong Kong, and also my last day before heading to the Philippines. I can't believe it's already here. Can you?

I slept in this morning and then went out for lunch. I got sauteed kale with dried fish and a bowl of steamed rice. It was very yummy. I really love the greens here. I also got a cup of Chinese tea. I'm really picky about tea, but the tea here is great. It's very subtle. I like it a lot.

After lunch I went back to my hotel and just laid in my bed for a few hours. I was tired and didn't really feel like doing anything else. Later in the afternoon, I decided to go out and just walk around. I wanted to take pictures of the city before I left. I realized I forgot my memory card in my laptop, so back to my hotel I went. I grabbed the card and headed back out, excited to take my pictures. I really wanted to get pictures of all the meat and produce markets lining the streets with all the lights at night, but when I came back out they had all packed up! I was so bummed. I decided I'd go out on the subway and walk around a different area in the city, so I got off at Central station. It started POURING. Of course I didn't have an umbrella, so I got completely soaked. I walked around in the rain looking for somewhere to get dinner, and I saw in big letter's the word, "DUMPLING." I was sold. Dumplings are one of my favorite. It was a little hole-in-the-wall restaurant, and boy were their dumplings good! Just as I was about to leave, I started talking to some Americans who have been living in Hong Kong for the past 17 years. They invited me to sit down and join them for a beer. Always eager to meet new people, I agreed. We had a wonderful conversation. We talked about their experience living in Hong Kong, about my travels, and about you. They were very interested and told me that they're going to read my blog! It makes me feel so good when people I meet traveling are interested in me and my blog! It makes me feel like I'm accomplishing something.

I can't believe I'm leaving tomorrow. It's a very surreal feeling. I'm going to miss this tiny little room I've called home for the past 5 days. It's kind of a perfect Alissa-sized room. Very cozy. I'm going to miss the energy of the city, but I think it will be nice to trade it in for some beach time. I'm excited to be by the water. I don't know what lies ahead of me, but every step of the way I have been so blessed and so fortunate the way things have fallen into place. Thank you for watching over me, Mama. You're the best guardian angel a girl could ask for. I love you with all my heart.

No comments:

Post a Comment