The life and times of a twenty-something college grad trying to figure out life while traveling the world and grieving the loss of her mother. Watch the journey unfold.

Thursday, June 14, 2012

Hong Kong: Lantau Island

I have arrived in Hong Kong. My plan from the beginning was to stay with Victoria, but since she is away on a business trip, I had to find a new place to stay. I had no idea where I was going to go until I was already at the Shanghai airport making my connection from Beijing to Hong Kong. I managed to find a pretty cheap hotel for Hong Kong prices. I didn't want to stay in a hostel here because I wanted my own space with air conditioning and TV since I'll be living in the Philippines the rest of summer.

I am staying at a cute hotel called Mingle by the Park right in Hong Kong island. I booked a "lite" room, and wasn't sure what that entailed exactly. I arrived...and this room certainly is "lite." Fortunately, I find it absolutely adorable and perfect. I know most people would not agree. My hotel room is probably less than half the size of my dorm room at school. There is a little nook for my bed, a bathroom, and that is about it. You can find a picture of my room here. That is literally my entire room. There is a small little corner that you can't see in the picture with a cabinet, phone, and mini fridge, but otherwise that is it. I kind of love how tiny it is. It's my own little space.

The hotel is very conveniently located. The subway is a 5 min walk away, and there are lots of shops around. I found a perfect little bakery right down the street, and I have been going there every day to get bread for breakfast and dinner. It is unbelievably cheap and they have the best breads I've ever had.

I spent my first day in Hong Kong laying in bed in my hotel room watching TV and playing on the computer. I needed it. I had been out walking for hours in the sun every single day for weeks, and I finally hit my wall where I just needed to crash. It was great, and got me nice and rested for today!

I woke up this morning, and headed out to Lantau Island (not without stopping at the bread bakery on the way of course!). Upon arriving at the island I took a cable car up to the top of these mountains. It was so beautiful. I walked around the village, and made it to the main attraction: the world's largest Buddha! It was pretty incredible. I climbed all the way to the top. I seem to be visiting a lot of attractions that require climbing! I asked a stranger to take my picture in front of the Buddha (ironically...he just took a picture of me...the Buddha wasn't in the picture). Afterward he walked back to his friend, and I heard him go, "She is so beautiful. Look at her smile." It made me feel so incredibly good about myself. I sometimes struggle with my self image, and it is really affirming to hear a complete stranger say such nice things about me. It put me in a great mood for the rest of the day.

There was an incredibly beautiful Buddhist temple on the island, and I sat outside it on a bench for about twenty minutes just enjoying the peacefulness. It was really serene.

I found an Indian restaurant for lunch, which was no Ambar, but it was good, nonetheless. I got back on the cable car and headed back to my hotel. I was thinking about you a lot today, so on my way home I stopped at the 7 Eleven and picked up a Smirnoff Ice, the drink you and I always enjoyed together. I got in my bed, put Erin Brockovich on, and drank my Smirnoff Ice as a toast to you. It's interesting...they are made with vodka here instead of malt liquor like the ones in the US. Funny how things are different around the world.

It's almost midnight and I'm getting sleepy. I love you so much, Mama. Wish you were here to snuggle with me.













No comments:

Post a Comment