The life and times of a twenty-something college grad trying to figure out life while traveling the world and grieving the loss of her mother. Watch the journey unfold.

Saturday, June 2, 2012

22nd Birthday & My Arrival in Japan!

Hi Mommy! What a whirlwind the last...I don't even know how many hours...has been! I celebrated my 22nd birthday with Kathy and Jenna, another woman from the Enrichment Voyage. We actually met up with your friend Steve Sussman, which was great! He took us to a local Mexican restaurant for some delicious burritos! I had a great time, and it was really nice to meet one of your friends in person. I know you were smiling about that one.

After we parted ways with Steve, we went to another restaurant in LA to get Jenna something to eat as she is vegetarian. We celebrated my birthday with the best dessert ever: banana bread pudding! Incredibly delicious. After dessert Kathy took me to the airport, and I boarded my plane to Japan! I flew Malaysia Airlines, and let me just say it was absolutely the best airlines I have ever flown with. Free movies, TV shows, games, music, two meals, two snacks, free beer, and the nicest staff I have ever met! It was such a pleasant surprise, and definitely made the 12 hour flight go by faster!

I finally arrived in Tokyo, where I met up with two of the girls I am staying at a homestay with. They are just the nicest girls. I am very lucky I'm staying with them. We took a bullet train from the airport to their neighborhood, and it was so cool! I have never seen a train/subway system so incredibly clean and high tech. There wasn't a speck of dirt anywhere...not even the ground! The ground shined! Unbelievable. We finally arrived back at their place, which is a cute little apartment/house. I had an interesting time trying to maneuver their shower. It's unlike anything I've ever seen before. They shared some Japanese snacks with me (I legit just ate dried fish bone...), and I shared some of my American/Latin American snacks that I have acquired along the way. They were very grateful.

I asked the girls to let me know of a beautiful park or garden so that I could scatter your ashes there. They were so sweet, and looked one up for me that is close to their house, and it looks perfect. Only the best for you, Mama. I love you so much.

It still hasn't hit me yet that I am literally on the other side of the planet. So hard to believe.

My laptop just alerted me that it is going to shut off any second, so I am going to end here just so I can make sure this gets posted.

I miss you, Mom. More than anything in the world.

No comments:

Post a Comment