The life and times of a twenty-something college grad trying to figure out life while traveling the world and grieving the loss of her mother. Watch the journey unfold.

Wednesday, June 13, 2012

Beijing: Summer Palace

Hi, Mama. Sorry I didn't write for a couple days. I was just so beyond exhausted at the end of the days that I didn't even have the energy to write. Luckily, I have arrived safely in Hong Kong, and I have spent the entire day laying in bed doing absolutely nothing. I feel refreshed, rejuvenated, and ready to continue on with my travels.

Let me backtrack and tell you about my last couple days in Beijing! Sunday I headed across town to the Summer Palace. I was completely blown away once I arrived, and it was not what I expected at all. The Summer Palace was one of the most beautiful places I've ever seen. It is an enormous park with a huge lake in the middle and temples all around. The water sparkled with the sun's reflection. I walked around the lake and headed across a beautiful white bridge. I thought it was a perfect place to spread some of your ashes into the lake. Not only were the lake and the bridge beautiful, but you were afraid of bridges, so I thought it would be a perfect place to leave you so you wouldn't be scared anymore. You could let go and appreciate the beauty. I continued to walk around, visiting some of the temples, stumbling across a Chinese dance performance, and then I came across the most ridiculous thing in my life: and I knew I had to do it. Because it was so absurd and hilarious, I decided to get my picture taken dressed up as a Chinese empress, fully decked out with a gown and a gigantic hat. It was so funny, Mom. You would have absolutely cracked up if you had seen me. The best part was that I was alone, so it's not even as if I had someone there with me to make me look less awkward. I crack up every time I look at the pictures. Unfortunately, I don't have a scanner at the moment to post them, but you better believe I will. Anyway...I had an amazing time at the Summer Palace. It was one of my favorite days of my trip.

I'm getting sleepy, so I think I'm going to end here and tell you about my time at the Great Wall in the morning! Love you, Mommy. I miss you so much. Thanks for watching over me and keeping me safe.

No comments:

Post a Comment