The life and times of a twenty-something college grad trying to figure out life while traveling the world and grieving the loss of her mother. Watch the journey unfold.

Thursday, August 4, 2011

SAS Auction, Feeling Beautiful, & the Disaster of a Cabin that is 4138

Well my Global Studies exam went horribly. Most of the people I talked to said they felt the same way, so hopefully there will be a decent curve. I know I didn't get an A on it, but it will be alright.
 
I've come to realization that I walk more on this ship than I do on AU's campus. I am always climbing stairs or walking back and forth from the opposite ends of the ship. Today especially involved a ton of walking as I was delivering info packets to people's doors all over the ship. Between all of the walking on the ship and the enormous amount of walking in the countries, I have gotten in such great shape. I have never felt better about myself and my body image than I do now. It is so liberating. To actually be able to look in the mirror and feel beautiful is the most amazing feeling. I know there's a lot of people who would be really proud of me for that. I'm proud of myself for that.
 
Tonight was the SAS Shipboard Silent and Live Auctions. It was so much fun. When we first got there, one of the staff members was talking about how the SAS community is a family, and then they had scripted this guy in the audience to get up from his chair and say, "You know what, SAS really is a family." We Are Family started playing, disco lights came on, and a flash mob of selected people spread throughout the entire audience started doing a choreographed line dance. By the end of the song the entire room was up dancing. It was fabulous. It also stuck a note with me because SAS really is my family. The friends I have made on this trip will be my best friends for life, my professors have opened my eyes to so many new ways of thinking and learning, my supervisors are two of the most amazing people you could ever meet, various other staff members have touched my heart in so many ways. This is my home. This is my family. I have an infinite amount of love and appreciation for Semester at Sea.
 
Anyway...They were auctioning off the funniest things, such as getting warm cookies and milk delivered by one of the LCC's (Living-Learning Coordinatiors...RA's basically) with a bedtime story, taking a bubble bath in the dean's office (who know the dean had a bubble bath in her office...), getting to blow the horn when we arrive in Boston, getting to steer the ship, getting to pick the menu for the entire ship, getting to be the dean for a day, various lodging for vactions all over the world, a private dance lesson by a 9 year old dance sensation on the ship, etc. It absolutely amazed me how much money some of these kids were dropping. So many items went for over $1,000, some for over $2,000. I can't even fathom being able to throw out that kind of money at 21. While it disgusts me in theory, it made me very happy tonight as all of the money was going toward providing the next generation of students with the possibility of the SAS experience, and I believe that this should be accessible to every student with the dream. I know I wouldn't be here without the generous donations of others.
 
On a completely different note, you know how I always mention what a disaster our cabin is and how we feel so terrible for our steward? Well...today we got a letter saying that our cabin was inspected again, and this time under the notes section it said, "Your room is very messy and cluttered. It is difficult for your cabin steward to maintain." Guess which three girls are spending the night cleaning...
 
GREAT NEWS: We gain an hour back tonight! Woo! 25 hour days!!

No comments:

Post a Comment