The life and times of a twenty-something college grad trying to figure out life while traveling the world and grieving the loss of her mother. Watch the journey unfold.

Wednesday, August 17, 2011

I Survived Finals!

Well, it's over! Papers are turned in and exams completed. I'm done. It still hasn't hit me yet.
 
I got an A on my most recent Race, Class, and Gender paper. That was exciting.
 
So I got my grade for my Global Studies exam. I got a 77. Remember how I said I needed to get a 77 to get an 89.6 in the class? Well...just when I got all excited about how I did it, I went to my professor just to verify that it would be an A. He told me that he would look over my record, and then decide whether to bump it up or down. I told him that I got A's on everything except the final, which I got a 77 on. He told me that he would not raise it because I "blew the exam." First of all, now I acknowledge the fact that a 77 is much lower than I usually score, but I would hardly consider it "blowing the exam." A "C" is considered average, and that is a high C. Not to mention, it is a better score than a lot of people got. I got A's on EVERYTHING else (well, one B, but it was boosted to an A with my extra credit), and that's not enough reason for him to give me the A. He then gave me attitude and said, "Sorry, that's the way I roll." I thought it was uncalled for. I told Staci about this, and she said, "Yeah, now watch the way I roll right into the Academic Dean's office." She's funny. I'm considering going to the Academic Dean. He has the most OBSCURE exams. Everyone was giving him horrible evaluations, and I wanted to give him the benefit of the doubt, but now I see where they were all coming from. On this past exam we had to read a floor plan and tell whether it was a church or a mosque, and then answer several questions based on that. The floor plan looked nothing like the floor plans he had in his powerpoint, plus one of the questions was "What is A?" and then there was an A on the plan. It was hard to tell what the A was in relation to, and he made an announcement saying that "A is refering to the blob." Really?? The blob? It wasn't even a blob. It was a semicircle. So unclear. He plays games with his questions too. "A. answer one B. answer two C. both D. neither" Those are games. That doesn't test people's knowledge of the material. So frustrating. I'm conflicted about whether or not I should go to the dean. I don't like confrontation, but an 89.6...that just kills me.
 
One major lesson learned from SAS: Thank God I don't go to a big school. I HATE not having a relationship with my professor. My Global Studies professor has no idea who I am. Not a clue. It's such a strange concept to me. I guarantee that if I got an 89.6 in either of my other two classes, my professors would give me the A because they know me, I participate in class, I go to them for extra help, and they know I care about my work. That can't happen in a giant lecture hall.
 
Anyway...now that I've written a novel about that alone, I'll go on with the rest of my day...
 
My Race, Class, and Gender exam was easy. I'm sure I got an A on it. I'm thinking I might end up with a B in the class overall, but we'll see.
 
Tonight we had a preport for Boston. It was great. The first half was a roast of the major faculty members, and it was absolutely hilarious. I was cracking up the entire time. They were also making fun of the US, which was great as well. They were giving "logistical information," such as the currency exhange, and Drew was so funny about it. He goes, "The local currency is the doh-yar (pronouncing dollar as if the double L's made a Y like Spanish)." Then he did a slide of "Common American Phrases," and my favorite was "She's a tasty biscuit." Hilarious. After the fake preport, we had a real preport, where they discussed the logistics of debarkation and what not.
 
Following preport was the Crew Talent Show. I was very impressed. It made me realize though how much I wish I would have gotten to know the crew better. If I'm able to return, I will definitely make that a priority. These people should not be so invisible. There is so much more to them than just being there to serve us.
 
After the Crew Talent Show was the Gender Bender Showcase. It was hilarious. Drew was dressed up in drag as the MC. He just kills me. The program was really well done overall. They included educational components, some rather heartwrenching video clips, and then of course the performance. It was great to see the community get so involved in something like this. This would never happen at AU. It was great to see even the frat boys getting really into it. There were a lot of hilarious routines, and it was a great time. I'm very impressed with how well it turned out.
 
It is now after midnight, and I am absolutely exhausted. I can barely keep my eyes open. Tomorrow we have all sorts of programs and events. It is also the Ambassador's Ball (which is the fancy dinner, not the dance. the dance is another night), and I am so excited for it! I am going to wear my handmade traditional Moroccan dress! Can't wait!
 
Good night!

No comments:

Post a Comment