The life and times of a twenty-something college grad trying to figure out life while traveling the world and grieving the loss of her mother. Watch the journey unfold.

Thursday, August 11, 2011

As Time Goes By

Today was another laid back day in Casablanca. I slept in, ate lunch on the ship, and then went out to get some wifi. I was able to talk to my mom again, which was nice. I went outside to this little kiosk, where I bought a pastry and had a moment of realization. I was walking back to the place where we were getting wifi and eating my pastry. It then hit me that I was eating on the streets of Casablanca during Ramadan. It was extremely culturally insensitive. I immediately put it away and waited until I was back inside. It made me really realize how in check with myself I should be about how my actions come off to others around me. It is important to think about others and not just myself.
 
To celebrate our last night in Morocco (and in any port in general), my friends and I went to Rick's Cafe for dinner. I had cream of tomato soup with saffron and a side of basmati rice. It was so good. The ambiance at Rick's is wonderful. I need to watch the movie Casablanca. I think I will have such a great appreciation for it since I've been to Rick's twice, not to mention that it's my mom's favorite movie.
 
It's absolutely insane to think that this is our last night in a port. I'm trying not to think about it too much because I know when it really hits me I'll lose it. This summer has been an unbelievable journey. I have seen more of the world than most people will in their lifetimes. I have learned more than I ever knew existed. I have grown so much and become someone that I didn't know I had the potential to be. I have seen things more beautiful than I could ever fathom. I have met the most outstanding people who will be in my heart and in my life forever. I have knocked down walls and broken barriers. I have gained passion, wisdom, strength, courage, humility, confidence, appreciation, drive, and inspiration. I have lived. I have loved. I have learned.
 
To quote the SAS staff t-shirts, "I left home as who I thought I was. I returned as who I am."
 
Goodnight, Morocco. We'll say our goodbyes tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment