The life and times of a twenty-something college grad trying to figure out life while traveling the world and grieving the loss of her mother. Watch the journey unfold.

Saturday, August 6, 2011

Good Morning World

I woke up earlier than normal this morning because we've gained an hour two days in a row. I decided to take a walk around the ship and see who or what I could run into. I ended up in the campus store, where I started talking to the lady who works in there, Yvonne. I had an wonderful conversation with her. She is from Jamaica, and she has been working for SAS since 2002. I asked her how many countries she has been to over the years, and she said that it was hard to keep track after 53. How incredible. She was telling me about her life and how she got to where she is today working with SAS. I asked her what it is like to be disconnected and away from family and home for so long. The crew doesn't get free internet access. Can you imagine being on a ship for 9 month periods of time without free internet access? It made me so sad that that isn't provided for them. Yvonne was also telling me about how her sister is planning on sailing as a student for the 2012 Maymester Voyage, and what a huge deal this was for her. She said that people often use the fact that they are from Jamaica as a reason not to persue their dreams. "Oh, I'm from Jamiaca, this doesn't apply to me. I won't be able to do this." Yvonne's sister was determined and is making it become a reality. It touched my heart because it is paralleled to my story, but she is coming from an even more disadvantaged position. Yvonne told me that she was planning on sending her sister her bank card so that she could help her out. It really restored my faith in humanity of the world. Here is this woman who doesn't make a great deal of money, who is making sacrifices to allow her sister to persue her dreams. I just thought that was so special. I wish I had the money to even be able to help her out a little bit.
 
I had the best time chatting with Yvonne. It continues to amaze me how much I can grow and learn just from encountering different people on this ship.
 
When I left my room this morning, I looked out the window and the ocean was a deep blue with a sky to match. I came back about a half hour later, and now the ocean is an ominous grey with no color in the sky. Crazy how fast it can change.
 
I'm going strong on my Hunger Banquet. It's hard with the time change because I woke up earlier than I normally would, and now I'll have to wait longer to have my rice. I can do it though. Millions of people around the world face much worse than this everyday.
 
I have two hours before my first class, so I think I'm going to try to knock out some papers before then. I'll update again before I go to bed tonight.

1 comment:

  1. Had to catch up on all your posts since I was on vacation last week. I'm loving reading about all of your adventures. It makes me want to be more adventurous in my travels.

    PS-You should write a letter to your supervisors about Yvonne and the rest of the crew... how it would be great for them to get free internet access too. Maybe you could get your other SAS friends to write a letter as well!

    ReplyDelete