The life and times of a twenty-something college grad trying to figure out life while traveling the world and grieving the loss of her mother. Watch the journey unfold.

Monday, June 20, 2011

Lots of Waves Today

The boat is really rocking today. I feel like I am on a rollercoaster. I was just watching the waves out the window in my room, and they're a lot bigger than they have been the past few days.
 
According to the map on my TV, we are currently at Lat. 35 deg 13.28N Long. 49 deg 7.65W, if you'd like to look that up on a map. We've traveled almost 1400 nautical miles. Seven more days until Barcelona!
 
I worked for about 2 hours today, assigning all of the extended families. I was fortunate that I got this as part of my work-study job, because I was able to put myself in the family with the lady from St. Charles, IL. I am SO excited. Her name is Dottie, and she is absolutely adorable. I can't wait to have my new "grandma."
 
Classes were good today. In Race, Class, and Gender they started the class by giving us a small piece of paper with a sentence on it. We had to circle all of the 'F's we found in the sentence. There were 6 total, but a lot of people missed 3 of them because they skipped right over the 'F' in the word "of," which appeared 3 times in the sentence. The purpose of this exercise was to show how we miss things in our lives. The 'F' in "of" is not as prominent as it is in other words, much like minorities in our society. This was then connected to how we miss things with gender (ex women not being called on in class), race (ex there not being darker "flesh colored" bandaids for those with darker skin), class (ex not noticing the name on the nametags of bus boys in the dining hall), and sexuality (ex not having a public restroom for those who don't identify as male or female). I thought it was a neat segue into an interesting topic. In Global Studies, there was a guest lecture from another professor about archaeology. It was very interesting. It was frustrating though because I got to class late (I only have 5 min between Adolescence and Global Studies), so I ended up finding a random seat toward the back. I was trying to pay attention and take notes, and everybody around me was talking and passing a game around. It made it really hard for me to concentrate. I suppose I found the downside of the lecture hall.
 
I have about a million pages of reading to do tonight, and all I want to do is go to sleep...not to mention we're losing an hour again tonight! This whole changing the clocks every other day thing is really difficult! Off to read I go...

No comments:

Post a Comment