The life and times of a twenty-something college grad trying to figure out life while traveling the world and grieving the loss of her mother. Watch the journey unfold.

Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Another Day on the Ship (C3)

(C3 is SAS's way of saying Class Day #3, which is today)
 
I had a great night with my roommates last night. They're names are Kendra and Amanda, and they are so much fun. We stayed up talking, laughing, telling stories, and watching the waves out our window until 3am (the clock went forward an hour). The waves were so big and the ship was rocking so much, that we decided to make a middle of the night adventure up to the deck to see the waves in action. It was pretty crazy. Laying in my bed I felt like I was going to flip over. The motions of the waves gave me a dream that I was being sucked up in a tornado last night. From what I've heard, a lot of people had very wild dreams too. I think it's interesting how the waves can do that.
 
I'm really glad that I'm taking Adolescence through Semester at Sea. All of the classes incorporate a global perspective into the material, and this is a class in particular where it is so neat to have that. Today we were talking about the definition of becoming an "adult," and what that means in different cultures and countries. We also talked about physical development and how even that differs among countries. It's nice to have a view into what others go through around the world, and how different it is from being an American. Race, Class, and Gender has become my favorite class. It's so interesting, and the teachers always start the class off with an interesting activity to connect to what we're talking about. Today they put 9 dots on the board (3 rows of 3), and asked us to connect them all without picking up the pen, only drawing four lines, and and only crossing a line once. The trick to this was that you couldn't stick to the confines of the "box," you had to go outside of it to make the lines. This clearly translates to thinking outside the box. We watched a video called, "What's Race Got to Do With It?" It's about students at Berkeley (my dream school...) in a class about race, getting into some deep topics. It was very interesting.
 
Tonight there is a presentation from an interport student from Barcelona about dining in Barcelona! I'm very excited! I can't wait to get some real Spanish food!!
 
We have a program called "Passport to LeaderSHIP," where you can go to a series of programs, and get stamps in your "passport." If you get one from each category, you'll get a gold seal on your diploma and an ice cream social/pizza party at the end. Sounds fun to me. The one I'm going to tonight is about Personality Types. I'm sure it will be a modified Myers-Briggs, and I already know that I'm an ENFJ (if I'm remembering correctly), but I still think it will be interesting.
 
The SAS Amazing Race is tomorrow! My friends and I signed up as a team. I'm not entirely sure what they will be having us do, but the winning team gets to be the first people off the ship in Spain! Wish us luck!
 
I've met even more people from Cincinnati on the ship. It's kind of blowing my mind. I love it. I've met a couple people from Illinois, but not very many.
 
Time to go to my personality program!

No comments:

Post a Comment