The life and times of a twenty-something college grad trying to figure out life while traveling the world and grieving the loss of her mother. Watch the journey unfold.

Tuesday, March 5, 2013

London, England: Day 2

Good morning, Mommy! I had every intent to wake up early this morning to go watch the crossing of the guard at Buckingham Palace, but my body had a different plan. I was knocked out and didn't wake up in time. I'm a little bummed, but it just means I'll have to come back to England, right? I know I'll be back.

I started my day and made my way to Buckingham Palace. I told the Queen you say hello. She sends her regards. She certainly has a nice house. I think Dad and I should look into moving into a similar property. I think it would suit Bella cat. She is a princess after all. In all seriousness though, the palace was really spectacular. The guards were in their places not moving a muscle, some were on horseback, and others marched back and forth.





(Terrible picture, but somehow I walked away without any good pictures of the palace. What was I thinking?)

After leaving the palace, I was walking back to the Underground station when I noticed a storefront with a giant Filipino flag on the front! I had to stop and go inside. I enjoyed some pancit for lunch and talked with the owners about my time in the Philippines and how much I love their country and culture. It was nice to have some Philippines in England.

I made my way down to the waterfront, enjoying a seemingly rare sunny day along the River Thames, and decided to take a ride on the London Eye (the giant ferris wheel). It was pretty cool--you could see miles and miles of London from up at the top. There were computer screens in side each of the pods where it would tell you what each of the landmarks were that you could see.



My London Eye ticket came as a packaged deal discount rate with a ticket to Madamme Toussad's wax museum. I had never been to one before and Melissa suggested it, so I figured why not? It was enjoyable. I saw the likes of Audrey Hepburn, Obama, the Royal Family, Madonna, David and Victoria Beckham, Cheryl Cole, and many others. I'm not sure I'd pay to go again, but it was a fun thing to do once. Here I am with Audrey. Remember when I dressed up as her for Halloween in 8th grade? You even took me to the hair salon to get my hair done like hers.


I found my way to Trafalgar Square, which in line with everything else in London, was also impressive. The National Gallery was right there, and that was nice to have the opportunity to see some art for free. It was especially nice for my wallet, as doing anything in London is pricy.

Last, but not least, no trip to London would be complete without some shopping! Everyone in London is so fashionable and I had some catching up to do. I found a couple really cute items at H&M that I really liked. I thought they were very London-style and not something I'd immediately find in the US. While we do have H&M at home, the clothes are different. I was happy with my finds (especially because they didn't blow the bank!). I made my way around the corner to the famous high-end department store Harrods. I was told I was not allowed to go to London without going to Harrods, and it did not disappoint. Floors upon floors of ridiculously expensive designer items. It was like a maze--I never knew where I was, which I think was the point because then people end up buying things when they can't find their way out. I bought a teddy bear as the Harrods teddy bear is an icon. There was an entire room dedicated to the bears, and I chose a tan furry one wearing a Union Jack shirt. I thought about getting the ballerina bear, but I figured the Union Jack one was more fitting for my trip.



By the time I made it outside it was dark and time for me to head to King's Cross Station to catch my train back to Sheffield. It was a fabulous two days in London--really, a dream come true. I know I merely dipped my toes in the city, but I will most definitely be back.

Oh, and how could I forget:


Of course I saw the quintessential red telephone box. Remember when you bought me a London telephone box charm for my charm bracelet when I was younger? You knew how badly I wanted to visit London.

I am back in Sheffield now at Melissa's house. I am exhausted, but fortunately I get to sleep in in the morning while Melissa has class. Tomorrow afternoon we are heading to Manchester for the Girls Aloud concert!! I am so excited, Mom. I can barely contain my excitement! But for now, it is time for this girl to crash, night night, Mama!

No comments:

Post a Comment