The life and times of a twenty-something college grad trying to figure out life while traveling the world and grieving the loss of her mother. Watch the journey unfold.

Thursday, March 7, 2013

Girls Aloud Concert: Manchester, England

MOM!!! You will not believe what an amazing two nights I have had! Melissa and I ventured up to Manchester on the train, which was a laugh in and of itself as we decided to sit in between the cars for some reason.


Clearly, Melissa was enjoying herself. We made it to the Travelodge we were staying in with just enough time to freshen up and head to the arena! We planned this thoroughly and booked a hotel within walking distance to where the concert was being held. We wanted to get there early as we had standing tickets instead of seated tickets, so we wanted to ensure that we would get good spots close to the stage. We waited outside of the MEN (Manchester Evening News) Arena for a while before finally the doors were opened. Once we got inside we were placed in a line ("queue," as they call it here) and given wrist bands to denote that we were standing. Eventually the second set of doors was opened and we were allowed to go down to the floor where we would be standing. All of the ushers were screaming, "No running! No running!" as they wanted to prevent a stampede, but we were fortunate enough to power walk quick enough to secure spots right by the stage. Their set had a catwalk that extended right off of the front of the stage into the middle of the floor. We were able to get close enough that we were stood right at the end of the cat walk with only one row of people standing in front of us. This meant that when Girls Aloud would walk down the cat walk we would literally be a matter of feet away from them. So cool, right?


Amelia Lily was the opening act, which was a nice surprise because I really enjoy her music as well. She was a lot better than I expected her to be. Really strong live vocals. I was impressed. Finally, after an elaborate countdown, Girls Aloud made their grand entrance, being lowered from the ceiling on a large platform that said, "GIRLS ALOUD," in bright shiny lights. The whole concert was a blast, and I could not get over how close we were to them! They sang all of their greatest hits almost entirely in chronological order from 2002-2012 (the tour itself was celebrating their ten years together). Everything was perfect--the costuming, stage design, lighting, pyrotechnics, everything. At one point they performed a song wearing the angel wings and other costuming straight from the Victoria's Secret Fashion Show. So cool, right? Halfway through the show they rode through the air on their Girls Aloud platform directly over our heads to a smaller stage in the middle of the arena, which was really cool as well. The encore of the show was really special. They rose up from the floor of the stage and behind them was a video montage of clips and pictures from the last ten years. It was a really nice touch. They shot feathers out of cannons as part of the grand finale, and one floated right into my hand! I kept it as a nice souvenir. Speaking of souvenirs...I went a little overboard and got myself a t-shirt, a poster, a program, and a bracelet. I know I'm a huge dork, but they're my favorite band, so it's ok. I seriously had such an amazing night, Mom. I couldn't believe that I actually saw them live and from so close. They were real people standing in front of me--not just figures from magazines and television. I'm so glad that Melissa was able to come with me as well. I know she had fun too (maybe not as much fun as me, but she certainly did have fun).

 


Melissa and I walked around downtown Manchester until we found ourselves at the Hardrock Cafe, where we ate dinner. I had some rather tasty pasta and we had a celebratory cocktail to top off a perfect evening. Manchester was really pretty by night, and I wish I would have been able to see more of it.


We returned to our hotel and crashed for the night. Melissa had to leave early the this morning to return to Sheffield for class. I stayed because once again I am a huge dork and I went to see the concert for a second time. No shame. This time I had a seated ticket, so it was a different experience. I ended up sitting next to a group of ladies in their 40s or 50s out for a girls night. They were so cute, and I hope me and my friends do cute things like that when I'm older. The concert was just as amazing the second time around, even though I was by myself and not as close. I'm currently laying in bed in the hotel still riding my high from the excitement of the past two nights. I think I will be floating pretty high for a while. This will certainly be hard to top. Time for me to go to sleep before I head back to Sheffield in the morning. Love you lots, Mama!

No comments:

Post a Comment