The life and times of a twenty-something college grad trying to figure out life while traveling the world and grieving the loss of her mother. Watch the journey unfold.

Sunday, March 10, 2013

Dublin, Ireland

Hello from Ireland, Mama! Boy, is it cold here! I found my way to Dublin after a rather large mishap at the Birmingham airport involving me having to purchase a new ticket at the last minute, but I'm just rolling with the punches, and I made it! The first thing I did upon arriving into Dublin was order some fish and chips! Tasty, tasty! The hostel I'm staying in is very nice, very clean, and very modern. I really lucked out with this one.

I decided to go wandering around the city today with no real agenda just seeing what I manage to happen upon. This was a great idea until I realized how freezing it was. My next idea was that the first museum I came across I would go inside. While I initially thought this was a fool-proof plan, I found myself inside of an interactive viking museum. Oh, Alissa. It was...an interesting experience. I learned how to write my name in viking script. I learned a bit about viking history in Ireland and Europe, but I'm not sure I would have spent my money willingly on an interactive viking museum.


I continued wandering around the city and made my way to the Temple Bar area (the main pub district) and stopped for a Guinness at a real Irish pub. While I was still in the US I asked for suggestions as to what I should do in Dublin and 90% of the responses were about drinking Guinness. I managed to find myself inside the pub during an important football (soccer) match, and I was surrounded by hundreds of drunk Irish football fans. So intimidating!

I went back to my hostel with the intent of getting a good night's sleep, but a large group of Spanish girls who were staying in the same room as me showed up with bottles upon bottles of alcohol, and needless to say I did NOT get a good night's sleep.

This morning I headed to Trinity College to see The Book of Kells. Unfortunately, it was closed for maintenance. I still got to see the rest of the museum, but not the book itself. The Trinity College campus was pretty incredible.




Most of my day was just spent walking around the city. I didn't really have any plans other than going to see Trinity College. I enjoyed myself despite the cold air and bitter wind. Once again, I just barely dipped my toes into the city, but it was a good start for whenever I make my way back here next.

Sorry this update is kind of blah and content-less. I miss you, Mommy. So, so much. It was the Irish Mother's Day while I was here. I hope you enjoyed your day. I love you with all my heart.


No comments:

Post a Comment