The life and times of a twenty-something college grad trying to figure out life while traveling the world and grieving the loss of her mother. Watch the journey unfold.

Saturday, July 7, 2012

Recharging

Well, Mom, I decided not to go on the excursion this weekend. I ended up just breaking down Friday night, and I knew that I needed to spend some down time this weekend. I'm glad that I made that decision  instead of pushing myself to go on the excursion. I needed this weekend to recharge.

There was an all day blackout yesterday throughout Tacloban because they were doing maintenance on the power lines...so that meant no fans. It certainly was hot. I decided to go to Robinson's (the mall) to use the internet and try to keep cool. All of Tacloban had the same idea, and Robinson's was packed.

After spending several hours catching up on emails and doing some research, I headed home to do my laundry. I am never going to complain about doing laundry again. I spent over an hour washing my laundry by hand in the front yard. It's the little things we take for granted that I'm becoming more and more aware of. Ate Mary Ann helped me with my laundry, which was greatly appreciated. I do have to say though that I've lost any sense of modesty now that I've had somebody else wash my underwear by hand. It was rather embarrassing. Just as I was getting over it, Budoy, my six year old brother, started picking up my underwear and going, "Look at this! Hahahaha!" Oh geeze.

To thank Ate Mary Ann, I took her and the kids out for dinner. She loves spaghetti carbonara, but she doesn't get to eat it very much, so I thought that would be the perfect way to thank her. We went to Cafe Lucia for dinner, where I have been many nights, but I have never eaten their food. I was so pleasantly surprised at how delicious ("marasa" in Waray Waray) it was. I ordered Soy Ginger Milkfish ("Bangus"), which is the national fish of the Philippines, and my new favorite fish. I really hope I can find it at home because it is so good.

After dinner we took the kids to the carnival, and I told them that they could each pick one ride they wanted to go on. We had a lot of fun. It made me so happy to see the kids so happy, and I know Ate Mary Ann appreciated it as well. I really enjoy doing nice things for people when I can.

Today I have been hanging out at home with my family, playing UNO, looking at pictures, singing karaoke, etc. My friends get back from the excursion around 4pm, so I will probably do something with them tonight. It's been nice just having some time to myself this weekend. I definitely needed it.

I miss you, Mom. So, so much.

No comments:

Post a Comment