The life and times of a twenty-something college grad trying to figure out life while traveling the world and grieving the loss of her mother. Watch the journey unfold.

Friday, July 6, 2012

First Week at Regional Haven

Hi, Mama. I have finished my first week of work at Regional Haven. It is so wonderful, Mom. I feel so blessed to be working with these women at the shelter. I really, really love the work I'm doing. I feel like I'm actually making a difference in their lives, even if it's just from something as simple as providing them with a couple of hours of fun each day. I have done some crafts and games in addition to journaling everyday. Today we played bingo and I brought them cookies as prizes. I figured they would really like that because they don't get much outside food or treats while they're at the center. After we were done with bingo, I had them journal about if they had three wishes what would they be and why. I was very impressed with the responses I got. Almost all of them wrote about wanting to go home, get justice with their court cases, finish their studies, and help their families. For the most part their answers were focused around the needs of others instead of themselves. Nobody wrote anything about wanting money or any material objects. There was a lot of focus on family. I think that is a lesson we need to learn as Americans...the importance of family over anything else. I learn so much from these girls everyday. I am so grateful.

I'm having a rough time, Mom. It feels like some days are really hard to get through. I'm getting more and more scared about the reality of having to go home without you there. I'm in a really weird place right now. I'm having a hard time finding the interest or desire to go out with friends, have fun, etc. I miss you so much, Mom. It's so unfair. We have an excursion planned for this weekend...and it literally sounds like a dream come true...a trip to a private island and then visiting waterfalls. As amazing as that is, I have absolutely no interest in going. I really, really don't want to go. I don't even know why. I don't know what is holding me back. I haven't decided if I'm going to go or not yet.

I'm so upset, Mom. How can this be real? Why did you leave me? I need you here.

No comments:

Post a Comment