The life and times of a twenty-something college grad trying to figure out life while traveling the world and grieving the loss of her mother. Watch the journey unfold.

Thursday, June 6, 2013

Reunited with Tacloban City

Hello from Tacloban City, Mom! I have been met with the warmest of reunions! Ester, one of the VFV staff members (and one of the sweetest, kindest people you could ever meet) picked me up from the airport this afternoon. We hopped on the jeepney and headed to Bliss (isn't it amazing that the neighborhood VFV/the homestays are in is called Bliss?), where as soon as I was outside the doors of Volunteer for the Visayans all of the local girls came running outside to give me a hug. It was pretty funny actually--a large group of girls all flocking at me at once. I then went upstairs and saw all of the VFV staff, reuniting with the ones I knew and meeting the ones who joined the team in the past year. One of the staff members, Leoma, is incredibly pregnant and about to pop any minute. I can't wait to see her baby! I then got to go see my homestay family, which was like being reunited with my own family. Ate Mary Ann was smiling as always and Budoy (my little brother) was being silly. Rafiah (my little sister) and Kuya Rey were not home yet, but they came later. In fact, we were eating dinner when Rafiah got home, and she came running into the house screaming, "Ate!!!!" It was so cute! Ate Mary Ann told me that Budoy has been looking at the calendar for days waiting for it to be June 5th. She said he woke her up early in the morning yelling, "Mama! It's June 5th!!" So sweet.

Today I went to Regional Haven for my orientation, which pretty much consisted of the staff telling me that I already know what I'm doing. Out of the 17 girls I worked with last year, only 5 of them are still here. As sad as I am to not be able to see a lot of them again, I am even more happy that they were discharged and able to go home. A couple of the girls, who I was particularly close with last year, surprised me with this sign in the entryway of Regional Haven.


Their faces are blurred out for their protection. The sign says, "Welcome back Ate Alissa! Congrats! We are all proud of you! From RH Clients and Staff." They also printed out pictures of me and put them on there as well. It was such a nice surprise. I was so unbelievably happy. They kept going on and on about how proud they were of me for graduating college and for graduating cum laude. The girls there seriously have the kindest hearts anyone could imagine. I can't even begin to describe how amazing it feels to see them again. The moment I walked in, I was instantly reminded of why they stole my heart in the first place.

I've met some of the other volunteers as well, and they seem to be really nice. It's very strange being here with an entirely different set of volunteers, especially without Ligaya and Melissa. Everyone I've seen has said to me, "Where's Ligaya? Where's Melissa?" The three of us were so close last year, pretty much attached at the hips, and clearly the locals remembered that. It's certainly going to be a different experience here without them, but I know I'll make another set of good friends.

Ate Mary Ann made bangus (milkfish) for me for dinner tonight, which she knows is my absolute favorite Filipino dish. I feel spoiled already.

I'm exhausted from traveling, getting reacquainted, and adjusting to the 12 hour time difference. Time for this girl to get some sleep (even if it is only 8pm...).


I am in Bliss, Mama. Literally.

1 comment: