The life and times of a twenty-something college grad trying to figure out life while traveling the world and grieving the loss of her mother. Watch the journey unfold.

Wednesday, June 12, 2013

Week One in the Philippines



Hi, Mama! Sorry I’m a little behind on updating. I can’t believe I’ve already been in Tacloban for a week now. I forgot how quickly time flies here…which is strange considering the fact that everyone operates on “Filipino Time.” Nobody is in a rush to do anything here. Events typically start 1.5+ hours after scheduled.

Things are going really well here. I have fallen right back into the swing of things, and I am once again reminded of how deeply in love I fell with this place. I don’t think I have ever felt the way that I do when I’m here. It’s so special. I’m not sure that I could even describe it. It’s just a feeling inside me of how right everything is.

Over the weekend there was a major event for VFV. The founder (an American) and his family came to Tacloban to visit, so there was a big reception for him. A slideshow was presented, which displayed the updates and the happenings of the past year at VFV. The sponsored children put on several performances, including singing, dancing (both hip hop and traditional Filipino dances), and some acting. There were several games with chances to win prizes, and there was a large buffet style lunch. Overall, it was a really nice event.

The past couple days at Regional Haven have been going smoothly. My girls inspire me and amaze me every day. They are incredible, Mom. I can’t even begin to fathom the trauma these girls have faced, and the fact that they are so joyous when they see me every day still blows my mind. I am so proud of them, Mom, and I know you are too.

I’ve started to get pretty close to another volunteer named Emma (from England). She is rather quiet, but very friendly. I like her a lot. We’ve started a ritual of going to Café Lucia in the afternoons after we get back from our placements (she’s a nutrition volunteer). We usually get a smoothie or something and relax. I work on my computer and she reads her magazines. It’s a nice addition to my day, and I look forward to it after working with my girls. In fact, we are at Café Lucia right now! It is time for me to get going though. Emma has finished her magazine. Time to head back for dinner. Miss you, Mama. Love you.

No comments:

Post a Comment